Singers in YCNS ensembles learn diverse and challenging repertoire in a warm, joy-filled environment. They receive instruction in note reading, musical vocabulary, and techniques to enhance the expressive capacity of their singing. They also focus on vocal training to help develop breath and pitch control, proper vowel placement, and healthy singing habits.
YCNS ensembles perform throughout the community and enjoy social outings and activities.
[ah-leh-GREE-ah] Spanish for "joy"
Our select ensemble for 2nd - 4th graders is for children who love to sing, can match pitch, and want to be part of a weekly choral group.
During COVID-19, Alegría has been rehearsing on Wednesdays in the 4:30pm-6:30pm time frame.
[may-RAH-kee] Modern Greek for "the soul, creativity, or love you put into doing something"
Our advanced ensemble for 5th - 8th graders is for young artists who have a passion for singing and who are ready for more challenging repertoire.
During COVID-19, Meraki has been rehearsing on Wednesdays in the 5:45pm-7:45pm time frame.
Audition now to join us!
Elevate your voice through engaging music alongside joyful interactions and experiences. Musical expression can help singers cope with this difficult year, and, in turn, can lend comfort to their community.
Auditions are currently being held online due to COVID-19 restrictions. At the audition, singers will:
- be greeted warmly in a relaxed, encouraging environment.
- sing a song of their choice. (It can even be "Happy Birthday.")
- sing back musical phrases that are sung to them.
- demonstrate what they know about reading music. (The ability to read music is not a prerequisite for joining.)
Please write email@example.com to schedule an audition.
- NO CHILD IS TURNED AWAY DUE TO FINANCIAL NEED. We provide robust, need-based scholarships so that tuition and fees are never a barrier to any singer’s participation.
- 2021-2022 Season Fees: $442 Tuition (plus a Uniform fee).
- Sibling discounts and payment plans are available.
For 2021-2022, we will continue to limit the size of our ensembles in order to ensure all singers are challenged, supported, and safe; returning students will have registration priority.
2021-2022 Season: September 22, 2021 - May 11, 2022 (no rehearsals in December)
YCNS follows up-to-date COVID-19 mitigation guidelines for singing as described by the International Performing Arts Aerosol Study Coalition. These include masks, ventilation, physical distancing, and rehearsal duration.
Weekly Wednesday rehearsals will vary in form, length, and (Evanston-area) location based on weather, COVID guidelines, and curricular needs. Rehearsal day & times will remain constant:
- Alegria: Wednesdays in the 4:30pm-6:30pm time frame
- Meraki: Wednesdays in the 5:45pm-7:45pm time frame
We will be flexible, agile, and sensitive during these unpredictable times. Hallmarks of the season include: (1) Limited number of singers for personalized attention and instruction, (2) Outdoor rehearsals (weather permitting), and (3) Opportunities to perform for the community.
2021-2022 Season: Rehearsals will begin outside at varied (Evanston-area) locations.
When mitigation guidelines and the venue allows for indoor singing, we will transition to our indoor rehearsal location at JRC (303 Dodge Avenue, Evanston).
303 Dodge Avenue
Evanston, IL 60202
Performances & Experiences
- World premiere recording of "The Soldiers Came," a 3-minute choral work commissioned by YCNS to celebrate our 5th anniversary.
- Alegría and Meraki continued to meet both safely in person (outside), as well as online, to sing and connect.
- Winter Singing - YCNS administered free online singing experiences (for K-12 singers in our community) taught by area music teachers: February 2021.
- Summer Chorus - Alegría & Meraki continued to sing, connect, and create musical offerings for the community during online rehearsals: June-July 2020.
- Summer Singing - YCNS administered free online singing experiences (for K-12 singers in our community) taught by area music teachers: July 2020.
- Workshop with Ta-Tynisa Wilson, standby for Angelica, Eliza, and Peggy/Maria in Hamilton: October 28, 2019
- Winter Recital: December 15, 2019, 2pm @ JRC - Free & open to the public
- Performance for the residents of Westminster Place, Evanston: December 18, 2018
- Performing the National Anthem at NU Women’s Basketball Game vs. Purdue: January 12, 2019
- Winter Retreat for singers at Westminster Place, Evanston: February 28, 2020
- Engaging online rehearsals which culminated in audio/video projects: March - May 2020
- Fall Retreat for singers at Northminster Presbyterian Church: October 5, 2018
- Social outing to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at the Oriental Theater: October 20, 2018
- Winter Recital: December 9, 2018, 2pm @ JRC - Free & open to the public
- Performance for the residents of Westminster Place, Evanston: December 12, 2018
- Carol singing for the St. A Café Soup Kitchen, Evanston: December 23, 2018
- Performing the National Anthem at NU Women’s Basketball Game vs. Purdue: January 13, 2019
- Performance and workshop for students in the Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center after school program: March 6, 2019
- Performance and Fundraiser at Potbelly Sandwich Shop, Skokie: March 20, 2019 - open to the public
- Interdisciplinary workshop with professional juggler, Jason Kollum, on our theme of "Balance." April 17, 2019
- Spring Recital: May 19, 2019, 4pm @ JRC - Free & open to the public
- Performance at the Evanston Public Library, Community Meeting Room, May 22, 2019, 4:45pm - Free & open to the public
- Performance with the Canadian Chamber Choir: October 14, 2017 @ Trinity United Methodist Church, Wilmette
- Winter Recital: January 28, 2018, 4pm @ JRC
- Performance for the residents of Westminster Place, Evanston: February 7, 2018
- Interdisciplinary workshop with artist, Jill King, on our theme of "Shadows." February 28, 2018
- Sing and Share Musical Exchange with Anima – Glen Ellyn Children’s Chorus and The Fort Wayne Children’s Chorus, March 3, 2018
- SingFest participation for 4th-6th graders: April 21, 2018 in Elmhurst, IL
- Spring Recital: May 6, 2018, 4pm @ JRC - Free & open to the public
- Performance at the Evanston Public Library, Community Meeting Room, May 9, 2018, 4:45pm - Free & open to the public
- Performance for the residents of Orchard Village, Skokie, May 16, 2018
- Winter Recital: January 29, 2017, 4pm @ JRC
- Community Performance: March 8, 2017, 4:45pm @ the Evanston Public Library
- SingFest participation for 4th and 5th graders: March 18, 2017 in Elmhurst, IL
- Spring Recital: May 17, 2017, 6pm @ JRC